not only meat, but fish and shellfish (which some vegetarians will eat), eggs,
milk and other dairy products -- any food with an ingredient derived from an
animal, from a cow down to an insect. (Insects? Yes. For example,
cochineal, a red food dye, has only recently been listed with other ingredients, but it's always
been made from insects.)
Vegans and vegetarians have to take special care to get enough vitamin B12
and protein, but like anyone, they can get all the nutrients they need from a varied diet, according to nutritionist Marion Nestle.
In line with health recommendations that emphasize vegetables, a vegan diet
avoids some of the most obvious unhealthy foods, like ground beef and butter --
but also some surprising ones, like marshmallows and mayonnaise.
"It's less about what 'foods' vegans can't eat and more about the
Here's a look at some more of the foods avoided:
1. Meat. Topping the list, of course, are all meats -- from hamburgers
and pork chops to chicken wings and the Thanksgiving turkey.
2. Fish and shellfish. Whether it's a lowly shrimp, a fried
fish stick, or wild Alaskan salmon, it's not part of a vegan diet.
3. Dairy products. Off the vegan menu: everything from milk
and yogurt to cheese and butter.
4. Eggs. That means mayonnaise and anything else made with
eggs (yes, most brownies and cakes, too!).
5. Honey. Bees are animals. Bees make honey. Vegans don't
6. White sugar. Some white sugar is processed with bone char,
7. Beer. Guinness is filtered using tiny amounts of gelatin derived from fish bladders. And it's not alone. While
some beers are vegan, others are filtered using egg whites or sea shells,
according to barnivore, a
vegan beer and wine guide.
8. Bread. While many simple breads are a-OK, containing just
four ingredients (flour, yeast, water, and salt) many breads and baked goods are
made with whey (a dairy product) or with butter, eggs, or sugar.
9. Marshmallows. These and other foods, like gummy candies
and Frosted Mini Wheats cereal, are made with gelatin -- a protein
made from boiling skin, bones, and other animal parts. Surprisingly, though, a
lot of junk food qualifies as vegan, even if it is unhealthy.
10. Salad dressing. Salads are great for vegans, but not
necessarily the dressing. Scan the ingredient list, and you'll often find
lecithin, which helps keep oil and vinegar from separating, and can be derived
from animal tissues or egg yolk (both no-no's for vegans) or from soy (OK).
I will add more as I learn about them♥